Whole30 Creamy Asparagus Soup!
Good day, folks! I'm stoked to bring you this killer recipe for my Whole30-friendly Creamy Asparagus Soup! It is delicious, healthy, satisfying, and easy on lactose-intolerant tummies like mine because the cream comes from coconuts instead of cows. When I first began the Whole30, I struggled to find recipes that were compliant, full of flavor, and could feed a crowd; however, once I opened up my mind, I realized the possibilities were nearly limitless! This soup meets all of the needs I mentioned, in addition to being simple to make. Further, it's adaptable to those who aren't sold on the Whole30 (yet!). For example, I was the only doing the program, so I bought crusty bread for the kids and my husband to enjoy with the soup. No extra cooking required and everyone is happy! Lastly, this asparagus soup pairs beautifully with any protein; we chose a spice-rubbed shrimp with edible skewers made of—wait for it—asparagus! I wish I could take credit for that stroke of genius, but all the props belong to my husband. There's a reason why he graduated at the top of his culinary school class!
In addition to providing the recipe below, there's a quick video tutorial so you can see how easy this Whole30 asparagus soup is to prepare.
What You'll Need:
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or preferred cooking fat)
1c chopped white onion
2 tbsp minced garlic (about 5-6 large cloves)
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
2c chicken stock (to make this vegetarian/vegan, use vegetable stock)
1c coconut cream (you can either buy the cream or refrigerate a can of coconut milk for 2 hours and remove the solids)
Salt & pepper, as desired
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion to pot and “sweat” until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and asparagus, stirring to combine the vegetables and coat with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add stock and pot to boil; then, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until asparagus is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat (set aside a few asparagus tips for garnish, if you like).
- Blend vegetable mixture thoroughly until smooth, using an immersion blender or conventional blender, working in batches. If using the latter, work in batches and be sure to replace the lid with a dish towel to allow heat to escape. Be careful!
- Add coconut cream and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt & pepper, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with reserved garnish, and serve.
To download the instructions, simply click on the image, no opt-in required.