After the last couple weeks of difficulty writing, today's prompt is a godsend! While it's incredibly important--for me, anyway--to confront tough subjects, highlighting the things that soothe me is not only necessary, but fun! Below, are just a few of the elements that bring restoration to my life.
1. My faith. If you've been rockin' with me for awhile, you know I love the Lord. I know Christianity is not everyone's preference, but so many of the things I've seen and experienced in my life have occurred by the grace of God. There really is no other way to explain how I'm even sitting here. My relationship with Him has sustained me in my highest highs as well as my lowest lows. Prayer brings peace, while the Word keeps me centered.
2. My husband. One of the first things that attracted me to my husband was his calm, easy demeanor. He managed to convey a quiet self-assurance without veering into arrogance, and I found myself almost uncontrollably drawn to him. Just being in his presence provided a balm to my overactive emotions. He continues to have that effect on me, although it is arguably more potent given the level of intimacy 11 years of marriage brings. The security of having a mate that loves and cares for me makes the outside world less terrifying.
3. My children. I realize kids can be a source of joy and stress, but I had to mention them, anyway. They bring such light to my life. I am humbled by their existence, and in awe of the blessing of watching them grow, discover, and forge their own unique paths. They truly encapsulate the very best parts of my husband and me.
4. My friends. When I encounter women who say they don't/can't have female friends, I'm always a bit flummoxed. They are entitled to the ownership of their experiences, of course, but I don't understand that mentality. Without my dear group of friends, I know for a fact I'd be absolutely miserable. We are cheerleaders, commiserators, shoulders to cry on, teammates, and sounding boards. We share in the pleasures and pains because we genuinely love each other. I've always said there is something magical that happens when women get together and unburden ourselves. It's powerful and life-giving, and there's no way I would miss out on it.
5. Music. I mean, no list would be complete without this! Not a day goes by that I don't listen to or sing a song. Period. I need it like I need oxygen, especially when I'm having a rough day or wrestling with bad news or the kids are acting out or... There is a song for just about every situation under the sun.
And what about you, Dear Reader? What brings you comfort while the war rages outside? Feel free to leave me a comment below!